Growing From Seed
- You can save lots of money by growing from seed and many people think it’s the most rewarding form of gardening.
- Some seeds (especially small ones) can be started in pots or trays. Fill the container with Yates Black Magic Seed Raising mix. Black Magic Seed Raising mix is specially blended to give seeds the best start. Water gently and allow to drain.
- Sprinkle the seeds on top and cover very lightly with more Black Magic Seed Raising mix. Press lightly and water gently by spraying with a mist sprayer like Yates Plassay Sprayer to prevent the seeds washing away.
- Stop the seeds from drying out by covering the tray with some plastic wrap. Keep in a shaded place and remove the plastic when you water. Or sit the tray in a larger container of water and leave it until the water glistens on the top.
- When the seedlings are big enough to handle they can be carefully transplanted into the garden bed.
- Sow more lettuce seeds every few weeks so you always have fresh lettuce to pick.
- Many seeds, such as beans and carrots, can be sown straight into the garden bed. Water the soil, make a shallow groove, then sprinkle the seeds along the groove.
- Water gently again.
- Here’s an extra tip for germinating carrots. Lay a plank on top of the row to keep the seeds moisture in close contact with the soil. Check every few days and remove the plank as soon as there’s any sign of your carrots emerging.
This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For all consumer related enquiries, please contact us.