I think officially the challenge starts tomorrow however it's the weekend and a great opportunity to get out into the garden and do some prep work.
Today Haven and I pulled out all the carrots and beetroot from our big Vegepod out the back. I don't know what I keep doing wrong but I can never get normal looking carrots! At least this year they taste good. In the past they have been bitter and unenjoyable.
The only thing we left in was some silverbeet and one carrot which is going to seed. Thought I'd leave it in to try to attract some beneficials.
In went a little Yates garden lime and Yates blood and bone. At first I thought it was pricey but a little goes a long way and what I like about them is that they are organic. I think this lot is still going strong and I've had it for a couple of years now. Definitely worth the investment if you can afford it.
The one downside with the vegepods are they are self contained and obviously separate to the ground soil. This means no easy access for worms. Today we decided to introduce some compost worms from our bin along with a lot more organic compost. I don't expect the worms will make this their long term home as they are compost worms but figure they may work through some of the soil. I'll add some earthworms at a later date once we start spreading our leaf mulch. It just doesn't feel right digging though the soil and finding no worms.