A touch of sewing

Gardener:Northland Backyard Gardener

Date:06 Nov 2022

Blog Type:Vegetables

t was definitely a day for ticking off the random jobs in the garden. Even hubby lent a hand once he and the boys got back from sailing. 

The staining of the old wooden seats was finished, and moved out of Connor's garden to make way for the potato bags. I must say, I am liking their new location, and I can see myself actually sitting there quite frequently. The potato bags were moved from their initial spot on the tarseal so that they don't overheat and dry out. Consequently, not only are the actual gardens filling up, but so too is the barked area around it. And it is only going to get worse over the week once the pumpkins and melons go in grow bags. I am not sure how they will go, but we wanted to give it a try. The area they will go in, is not a high-traffic area, so they will be able to meander to their heart's content. 

The tomato frame, and one of the A frames, have swapped beds ready for the tomatoes to go in. A few frames have been fixed. The wooden edging has been purchased to place along Connor's garden now the punga logs have rotted away. With the last big downpour, a bit of the bark washed out so we need to sort that.  Hubby has Monday's off, so I have my finger's crossed that this will finally be done, along with the garden strip in front of the chicken coop.

After moving the potatoes, I also discovered it was a day for a wee bit of potato growing sabotage (whilst feeding his newly transplanted seedlings today, I caught someone feeding his and dad's potato buckets with the Yates Thrive Natural Seaweed, but not his mother's or brother's).  Let's say he wasn't impressed when I said it was okay, because I prefer the Yates Thrive Natural Blood and Bone with Seaweed not that they are at the top of the bucket. 

Unfortunately, our lovely warm weather has left us again, so we decided to put the cloche over the newly transplanted tomatoes, capsicums, and chili. As the seams had mostly come undone, instead of replacing it, I resowed all 4 seams. Admittedly, it does look much better than the clothes pegs that was holding it together the last time I used it. 

The garden is almost there, but there is still a few tasks to keep us busy over the coming week. 

A touch of sewing