For us strawberries have always been a side crop. Something we grew every year but never actually paid us back for the investment. Well... this year things are different. I'm not sure if it's the greenhouse or if it's Northland but so far we have had about 2 punnets of delicious strawberries and the season hasn't really started.
Our plants are sending out masses of runners and I figure rather than buying more plants, we shall keep the runners. I've read the plants need replacing every 3 years to keep a good crop but I want to pull this lot out this year to add more compost and build up the soil.
I'm no expert and our first attempt on the left was a fail. I got so excited when I saw small roots forming on the runners that I cut them and put them into pots. I'm pretty sure the roots weren't ready to take up water so they are slowly dying 😥
Attempt 2 after doing some research (should have done this first) involves pinning the runners to soil in pots. After a few weeks the roots should be well established and then we can cut their little umbilical cords and set them free.
This lot looks a lot happier.